Hello! If you reached this page, it means you are planning to start your journey as an international student. Thank you for considering our university! Before beginning the admission process, please check if you meet the following mandatory requirements:
- You have found in our academic offer for the academic year 2022-2023 a study program that interests you (please check the academic offer and specific requirements available below).
- Respect the specific admission criteria imposed by each faculty (please check the academic offer and specific requirements available below).
- Your high school diploma is recognized by the Romanian Ministry of Education (please check the LIST OF RECOGNIZED HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMAS, attached below)
- They have documents attesting the citizenship of a non-EU country (NOTE: Citizens with dual citizenship, including one Romanian, must follow the admission procedure dedicated to Romanian citizens organized by the UB Faculties. They will be enrolled to studies as Romanian citizens, according to the Romanian Citizenship Law No. 21/1991, article 35, „Romanian citizens enjoy the same rights and obligations in relation to the Romanian state”, and according to Government Decision 194/2002, chap. I, Article 2, „(a) foreigner – a person who does not have Romanian citizenship or the citizenship of another Member State of the European Union or of the European Economic Area”).
If you answered yes to all the above, you can go further and check the steps that you have to take in order to become a UB’s student.
- The admission process will take place exclusively online. Please be sure all your documents are scanned in PDF. format.
- The name of the document must include the type of document and your surname ( Consent.Popescu, highschooldiploma.Popescu, etc.)
- The application period is March 17, 2022 – June 30, 2022, 16:00h (Bucharest local time).
- The candidates are asked to access our online application platform: https://admission.unibuc.ro/
- For information regarding the access of the admission platform, please consult the document ADMINISSON PLATFORM GUIDE, attached below.
- Application form (attached below)
- Authenticity statement (attached below)
- Consent for processing personal data (attached below)
- high school diploma – certified (for residents of countries that have signed the Hague Convention, the Hague Apostille is requested – access the website: https://apostile.ro/state-membre-haga; for all the others, the documents have to be endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Education and the Romanian Embassy in their homeland) in the original language and then translated in Romanian, English or French and legalized at a public notary. If the original document is issued in one of these languages, the translation is not required anymore.
- transcript of records pertaining to the high school diploma – certified or certified translations at a public notary in Romanian, English or French if the original is not issued in one of these languages;
- for programs offered in English/French language, an international language proficiency certificate (TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge) is needed with the minimum level required by each faculty (please consult the specific admission criteria); Candidates who can prove that the official language of their country is also English or French and that they have studied at least 4 years in this language are exempted from this requirement.
- for study programs taught in Romanian language, the candidates must submit a certificate attesting his/her knowledge of Romanian with the minimum level required by each faculty (please consult the specific admission criteria) or to submit certificates proving that the candidate has had at least 4 consecutive years of studies in Romania.
- photocopy and authenticated translation of the birth certificate;
- photocopy and authenticated translation of the marriage certificate (if applicable) – to be attached along with the birth certificate
- photocopy of the passport;
- copy of the National Identity Card or any other document proving your permanent residence (home address);
- medical certificate (translated in a language widely spoken internationally) attesting the current health situation of the applicant and the potential antecedents regarding chronic affections, respectively infections with SARS-COV2
- power of attorney if the application of the candidate is carried out by a representative (NOTE: The power of attorney must specify clearly the actions that the representing person can take in the name of the candidate (submit his/her documents, receiving the letter of acceptance, paying the fees, receiving the money back in case the candidate decides not to enroll anymore or he/she does not receive the student visa).
The University of Bucharest will process your file and will send it to the Ministry of Education for evaluation. It may take up to 30 working days to receive an answer from the Ministry of Education. Once the answer is received, the University of Bucharest will inform the student about the results. If the letter of acceptance was issued, we decide together the way through which the document will be sent to the candidate.
Between 15.07-29.07.2022, candidates who have obtained the letter of acceptance from the Ministry of Education will be evaluated by a commission, according to the admission requirement. (please check the academic offer and specific requirements available below).
- The Office for International Cooperation and Foreign Students will inform the candidates about the exact date of evaluation / examination, where an interview is part of the admission process.
- The candidates with the highest average will be admitted to studies, within the limit of the number of places available, in the case of admission on the basis of a file. In case of equal averages, it will be considered the mark obtained in the subject relevant to the programme applied for. In the case of specializations with other forms of assessment, please consult the academic offer and the specific criteria.
- The list of admitted candidates will be published in this section of the site
- Candidates declared admitted will have to confirm their place within 24 hours from the publication of the results by completing the statement confirming the place (attached below). Failure to complete the declaration will automatically result in disqualification and loss of the position, which will be filled by the candidate situated on the next position.
- Only candidates who have been admitted and have confirmed their place will receive the acceptance letter in order to start the visa process.
- The Office for International Cooperation and Foreign Students will issue to the admitted candidates, who have confirmed the place, a certificate confirming the passing of the entrance exam, necessary for completing the file for obtaining the study visa.
Based on the Acceptance Letter (and payments where requested) and the certificate confirming the passing of the entrance exam, applicants will have to apply for the study visa at the Romanian Embassy in their country or the closest Romanian diplomatic mission. For information regarding visa application please check visa instructions (attached below).
The enrollment is possible at the Office for International Cooperation and Foreign Students (Soseaua Panduri, no. 90, 4th floor, room 404, Bucharest, Romania). The registration is possible only in person. Upon your arrival in Romania, for registration to the University of Bucharest you need to present the originals for ALL DOCUMENTS SUBMITTED ONLINE, plus:
• letter of acceptance (original);
• proof of payment (original) for the paying students;
• passport and student visa;
• 3 photos ¾ cm;
• an envelope dossier;
NOTE: Candidates are responsible for the authenticity of and correspondence between the digital/scanned documents and the original documents which are submitted in the candidate’s file by signed formal declaration. For registration the student visa and original study certificates are mandatory, without exception. The candidates are requested to register between September 12, 2022 – September 30, 2022. Please do all necessary to comply with this deadline.
Frequently Asked Questions
If your school/University can provide you with a provisional degree certificate, you can apply with it. Note that the provsional certificate must be not older than one year. However, as soon as your diploma is issued, you need to submit it in original/translated and certified copy to the university (if you’ll get to be enrolled).
Yes. While applying for the study visa, you need to present in original the letter of acceptance and the proof of payment of the study fees.
No. To be officially accepted you need to make the enrollment, in person, at the UB, presenting all the documents required in original, all of them legalized by the Embassy of Romania. The letter of acceptance is issued for visa purposes only.
You have to submityour original documents personally at the International Relations Office within the deadline specified on the website. The IRO staff will verify them and will send them to the Faculty. Only then you will become officially student at UB.
Legalization is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on a document is genuine. Without it, the candidate’s educational documents are not valid in Romania. The legalization is done by the Romanian Embassy, therefore a candidate needs to contact the Romanian Embassy in his/her country (or the one that is closer to his/her country). If the country, where the document was issued, has signed the Hague Convention of 5 October 1961 Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents, legalization is replaced by Apostille attached to the document. The list of countries – members of the Convention is available on the following website: http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act=conventions.authorities&cid=41
Generally, not. However, some faculties may require an interview in order to evaluate the candidates.
If you pay a tuition fee for the first year of your studies and then fail to get the study visa, the tuition fee will be reimbursed (repaid) to you acoording to the methodology of reimnoursement.
Yes, if the study programme you are interested in is offered in English or French. Please check our academic offer from the site.
For candidates who are not speaking Romanian language and want to attend a study program offered only in Romanian, UB offers a preparatory year of Romanian language (one year course) in order to get the necessary linguistic competencies in order to join a BA/MA/PhD program next year. For information regarding the admission requirements, please access the section dedicated to the admission.
No, the University of Bucharest does not offer scholarships. For scholarship opportunities please access the websites of the Miistry of Education and Research and/or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs from Romania.
Yes, there are different study fees according to the field of study. Please access the section dedicated to admission for more information.
No, there is no age limit in order to apply for studies at UB.
According to the metholodogy for accommodation, UB accommodates with priority international students who are scholarship holders (based on interguvernmental agreements). Upon availability, we can accommodated other categories of students.
Yes. After the enrollment, all international students enrolled in a higher education institution in Romania will have to register to the Immigration Office (obraining the residence permit) and to the National Healt Insurance House. The IRO officers will guide you through the process by providing all the information in this regard.
The study fee must be paid integral from the beginning, since the proof of payment is one of the docuents needed while applying for the study visa.
The schedule is issued by the faculty. We advise you to get in contact with the secretary of the faculty or search on the faculty’s website.
The Romanian authorities allow you to work part-time (4h/day).
You can pay the tuition fee online by bank transfer or going to a bank to make the payment. The bank account information is written on your letter of acceptance. The proof of payment must be sent to the International Relations Office and to the Secretary’s Office of the Faculty.
Please contact us as soon as possible so we can put you in contact with the Immigration Office. Please contact us with at least two month before your residence permit expires in order to be able to regulate your stay in Romania on time.
The reexaminations are paid starting with the third attempt. The fees are available on the site..
If you need a student certificate, you can request it from the International Relations Office. Please note that if you need it in French or English, you are required to pay a fee at the cashier’s office.
A power of attorney is a legal document that grants a person the legal authority to act on another’s behalf and make certain decisions for them. A power of attorney needs to be signed in front of a licensed notary public in order to be legally binding.
The power of attorney is needed in case the student cannot personally bring the necessary documents for admission or send them by dhl DHL courier company. The student can designate a representatives to submit the file. Upon submission, he needs to present the power of attorney in original.
The study fees must be paid after receiving the letter of acceptance, but before applying for the study visa. Note that one of the documents required for obtaing the student visa is the proof of payment.
—————————– VIDEO —————————–
Foreign students and the Romanian language
Study in Romania
Things to do in Romania
The world without Romania
International Relations and Foreign Students Office
Monday-Thursday: 11:00 – 13:00
90-92 Șos. Panduri, 4th floor, room 404, Bucharest, 050663, Romania