This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
About Ruxandra Vișan
Ruxandra Vişan has taught in the English Department for several years. The history of lexicography, the history of English and language ideology are among her research interests. Her courses focus on the history of English, sociolinguistics, translation studies and theoretical linguistics . She defended her PhD thesis in 2009, centering upon the history of lexicography and the cultural history of the English language (Samuel Johnson's Dictionary and the Strategies of Lexicographic Modernity, published in 2009). Among other works, she has coauthored English Grammar and Practice for Advanced Learners. A Text-Based Approach (2013), a book widely used by Romanian students.
- Tense, Aspect, Mood (TAM)
- History of English
- Elective Courses
- History of English Lexicography
- Language and Culture: Language Ideologies in the History of English
- Literary Translations: Film, Adaptation and Translation
- Samuel Johnson's Dictionary and The Strategies of Lexicographic Modernity. Bucharest: EUB, 2009.
- English Language History 1476-1755: Attitudes to English. Bucharest: EUB, 2014.
- Landmarks in the History of the English Language. Bucharest: Ars Docendi, 2018
- Postcolonialism/Postcommunism: A Dictionary of Key Cultural Terms. Bucharest: EUB, 2011 (with Monica Bottez, Alina Bottez, Maria-Sabina Alexandru Draga, Ruxandra Radulescu, Bogdan Stefanescu)
- English Grammar and Practice for Advanced Learners. A Text-Based Approach. Iasi/Bucharest: Polirom, 2013 (with Nadina Visan)
- New Perspectives on English Grammar. Bucharest: Institutul European, 2014 (with Nadina Visan and Daria Protopopescu)
- "Classifier and qualitative binominal constructions". In Dobrovie, C and Giurgea, I. (eds). A Reference Grammar of Romanian. Amsterdam: John Benjamins,, 2013, pp 747-774. (with Ion Giurgea and Mihaela Tanase-Dogaru). https://doi.org/10.1075/la.207.13tan
- "A florid preface about a language that is very short, concise and sententious", In McConchie, R. and Tyrkko, J. (eds). Historical Dictionaries in their Paratextual Context. 2018. Berlin: De Gruyter Mouton, pp. 285-306. DOI: 10.1515/9783110574975-012